• No one is calling back
• No one is hiring
• I’m too old
• My resume is too out of date
• My life is crashing around me
Ten Positive Things
In order to keep using what you have, your knowledge and skills, you must find new work. The unemployment will end; you know this. The problem becomes how to get through the unemployment positively. With this in mind, try using these ten ways of staying positive while you are unemployed. Using what you have to stay upbeat and moving forward will create more opportunities.
• Create Your Ideal Job On Canvas – take any flat surface and paste a picture of you doing a job you like. Attach reaffirming words, articles and references from printed media. Place it where you see it daily.
• Change the Inner Speech – positive inner speech will always help advance a good outlook on any situation.
• It’s Your Life, So Use It – make productive use of your time and your life; you are the only person in total control over the outcome.
• Make Something From Unemployment – even if you don’t find a job tomorrow, any learning or other activity provides positive experiences while unemployed.
• Look for Opening Doors – the saying of ‘when one door closes another opens’ is often true; you need to be looking for the open door to step through it.
• Create Your Own Self Image – don’t rely on others to define who you are while looking for employment. Don’t allow yourself to be pegged into any specific job type which doesn’t fit your goals.
• Reward Yourself For Trying – when you achieve positive results from an effort, any effort, celebrate that result; even small items such as reaching a certain number of applications per day or getting job interviews deserves celebration.
• Stay Close to People Who Believe – sticking close to people who believe in you and your value helps self esteem and confidence; these people will not bring you a lower level but will inspire you to reach higher levels for yourself.
• Be Thankful for What You Have – during unemployment, look around at what you still have; be aware of what good each day has in life.
Celebrate Being Able and Capable